Advantages and Disadvantages of Satellite communications
Satellite communication system has become avid these days as technology develops and grows in drastic speeds. Here is an article on the advantages and advantages of satellite communication. Satellite communications often work like https protocol without any third party interference makes it more secure.
What is a Satellite?
Before we head into deep into advantages and disadvantages of satellites, let’s see what a satellite actually is. Satellite is an object which is placed in the planetary orbit by human intervention (In the case of artificial satellites). These are thus known as artificial satellites. The human intervention of placing an object in the space makes it artificial, while on the other hand, we have natural satellite like the moon for the earth. It is also to be kept in mind that the world’s first satellite was launched by Russia (known as the Soviet Union then) in 1957. Since then 1000’s of satellites are launched into the orbit around the earth.
Read More : Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media
What is a communication satellite?
Now that we know what a satellite is let’s see what a communication satellite is. A communication satellite is an artificial satellite that relays and amplifies radio telecommunications signals via a transponder; it creates a communication channel between a source transmitter and a receiver at different locations on Earth. Communications satellites are used for television, telephone, radio, the internet, and military applications. There is around 2000 communication orbiting around the earth, both owned commercial and by government bodies.
How does a communication satellite work?
Wireless communication uses electromagnetic waves to carry signals around the earth. One thing about Wireless communication is that they require line of sight here comes the need of satellites. They act like relay across the globe and breaks the physical barriers. This helps distance communication easier. Interchanges satellites utilize an extensive variety of radio and microwave frequencies. To stay away from sign impedance, universal associations have directions for which recurrence ranges or “groups” certain associations are permitted to utilize. This distribution of groups minimizes the danger of sign obstruction.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Communication Satellites
Advantages of Communication satellites
- Mobile communication is simplified and made effective using satellites.
- Cheaper compared to terrestrial networks in long distant communication establishment.
- Data loss and quality are maintained in satellite communication.
- The user has complete control over the network as fewer relays are involved.
- Search Rescue and other large area coverage are made easy via Satellite communication.
Disadvantages of Communication satellites
- Time laps between communication is a major disadvantage of Satellite communication. This major drawback reduces the efficiency of satellite communication.
- An imperfect impedance may cause echo and delay in communication
- Initial set up cost is comparatively very high and takes a good lot of time and risk.
- Repair and maintenance are expensive and hard, often they are brought down.